Friday, December 17, 2010

Winter Worderland


This is new for me, but I absolutely love winter. Plus, I feel like a vampire burning in the sun ever since I had skin cancer.


Lately, I look forward to every snow storm. Christmas just brings so many fun memories from my childhood.

Aiden and Taylor have been having fun in the snow too. Taylor has even managed to figure out how to be a princess in the snow wearing a skirt over her snow clothes.
This Christmas we are starting some new family traditions to help make Christmas more memorable for the kids.


1. Elf on a shelf: I am sure everyone has heard about this now, but we love it. We named our adopted Elf "Scout". The kids have so much fun looking for him every morning. It is also great motivation for the kids to remember to be nice.


2. Temple Square: We took the kids to Temple Square for the first lighting. We had a lot of fun until Taylor got sick. She was such a trooper. She did not even tell anyone she got sick as she did not want to ruin the lights for everyone else. Poor girl.

3. Wishes: Every Christmas Eve we are going to place our wish for the next year in a glass jar on the Christmas Tree. The next Christmas we will read our wishes and see if they came true. I liked this as we could make lasting wishes not just for toys.


4. Movie Night: This is something that will take place year round. Every Sunday night is Movie Night. Everyone in the family is required to be there. The kids switch off on picking a movie, my only requirement is no Scooby Doo, or else that is all we would watch. We make popcorn and treats and spend 2 hours as a family having a fun evening with no other interuptions. I hope to keep this going until the kids are all grown.


If anyone else has some fun ideas for famly traditions I would love to hear them. I don't think the kids will remember their presents but they will remember the fun things we do as a family.

3 comments:

  1. Those are great traditions to start, what a wonderful thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so neat!! I haven't really done much with traditions. When we were growing up my dad (Grandpa Bray) would always read Twas the Night Before Christmas on Christmas Eve. He had a great story telling voice. The other tradition I remember is we would always put our Sunday shoes out by the tree or stocking so Santa could see how big we were getting. I'm not sure if your dad passed any of those on. Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad always read the Night Before Christmas, guess that came from Grandpa. :) But I've made Dustin do it every year and I take a picture as he's reading it. Its fun for me to look back each year and see how they've grown so much.
    -Melissa
    p.s. I went private on my blog if you didn't know. I don't think I had your email to give you access. Let me know if you want to.

    ReplyDelete